Sunday, October 20, 2013

The 1975

I've been stuck inside the house writing papers and reading theories, history, and policies of social welfare. The only thing that keeps motivated is listening to music while I write or read.

I came across a band called The 1975, an English Manchester-based alternative rock/indie rock band from Wilmslow in Cheshire. Their song "Chocolate" has been on replay, the song is super catchy and I love Matthew Healy's accent! (Matthew is the lead singer), what would make them even cooler is if they cheered for Manchester United!... So, I went and streamed the full album online not expecting anything really amazing or good, but to my surprise I liked it! 


After I looked up the band, I realized the theme of the song "Chocolate", is indeed about recreational drugs and deviant attitudes of young people. 

A friend of mine told me Matthew wrote the song inspired by his sister who was a heavy drug user. I don't know how much of this is true, after all the internet is full of public opinion and speculation. But what I do know is that I am really liking this song and some other songs in their new album! Most of the songs reflect the attitudes of today's youth; Sex, drugs, fear, love and hope. Being immersed in the strengths perspective theory, I see the positive in this album, I see them as nonconformist and with a strong desire to explore those attitudes often shunned by society.   

I found out they will be playing at the Varsity this coming Monday and I am very tempted to go see them perform live. But if I go, will I be going against my own ethical values? I want to go because of the art of music, because of the whimsical and mysterious lyrics attached to the catchy and playful beat of the songs... but I can't help to think and I ask myself if their music is reinforcing self destructive behaviors already damaging young people's lives... 

Here's my favorite song of the album:
I shared this song with a friend and the only thing I could tell him is that I think I do have a darker side to my taste in music. 

No comments: