Friday, August 9, 2013

Driftin' on this memory

The following post was heavily influence by a song from Mat Kearney called Chasing the Light. It's as if Mat had been telling my own story with his words... I of course changed the lyrics to better suit the actual facts of my own story..but truth is that his beautiful rhythm will not compare to mine, what I find special about this post is that I had the opportunity to share this with the person it belongs to. :)

Driftin’ on a memory

Remember back when you slept on my front porch,
couldn’t wait for the next day to come.
Ten hours of wasted time
we didn’t care if we were way out of line
From the moment I first appeared
to the moment you disappeared
Hard to know what I had
or what was meant to be
Everything we knew went flying out the street
from mom’s couch to California’s heat
Holding our breath for people in life
to suffocating when they walk away, saying no goodbye
And I kept saying I’m running down a dream but I don’t know where it leads
…as I keep drifting on this memory

Every day that I saw you smiling
Every tear that I saw you crying
Every winding road that you have traveled
I’m thankful now, that has been unraveled

Every hope that you still carry
Every burden you have buried
Baby, I pray that now, you figure it out
As I keep drifting on this memory

Got the letters that you sent out yesterday
40 lines and a secret holiday
Driving 2003 miles away
Just to see me walk your way
On your knees when I was distressed
With your lips on mine…pressed.
I thought about you while driving at night
and dreamt of you when there was no light
Familiar songs and takes me right back there
…George Street and the heat of the summer air

You’re so humble, never recalled the hell that I’ve put you through

‘member lunch at the Greek cafĂ©?
re-writing that music verse
loving me, the adverse
remember that your first love hurts
but you know the mind n the heart learns
‘member driving to Lake City with the crew?
I still keep the picture that you drew…
We were running Highland and Central schools
Knowing that I was a fool…
Wishing you’d get down on one knee
dreaming of what I’d be

…until the day I said goodbye.
And I keep chasing the light…
Driftin’ on this memory

No comments: