Friday, November 22, 2013

Songs of the week

Music evokes a diverse range of emotions and feelings. Some are good, exciting and joyful, and some are melancholic and reminiscent. 

 This week I had a few songs on replay from the minute I woke up, until the minute I went to bed. 

Drunk
-Ed Sheeran
"I wanna hold your heart in both hands..."
I love this song for so many reasons. The lyrics, the feeling, Ed's voice and the meaning. Listen with headphones, and close your eyes. You might get the same feeling I get. It's not at all about drinking alcohol and getting drunk. This song is so much deeper than that.

Ed Sheeran was here in Minnesota in 2012. He played for Oake on the Water (free mini concerts as part of Cities97 summer programs) when his big hit The A Team had just come out. I went to see him on a rainy day and waited for hours, so unfortunately I didn't get to see him then. His flight was delayed and he arrived about 2 hours late to the show. He felt so bad that he literally gave a full concert! He was supposed to play just a few songs and leave, but I've been told he was so real, down-to-earth and humble that he played most of his songs on his album. All because he felt so bad for being late.

Ed Sheeran's album is very intimate and he gives us a glimpse of his personal life. I can go on and on and talk about each song on the album, but you all should listen to it. Discover the beauty of his music and lyrics. :)

The Script 
-If You Could See Me Now

This Irish band doesn't need an introduction because everyone should know them. My favorite song from them is For The First Time. The Script has such a beautiful, melodic rhythm to their songs. If You Could See Me Now was written in memory of Donny's father and Mark's parents who passed away when they were younger. I am fortunate to have both parents alive, but the thought of losing either of them breaks my heart. When I hear this song I'm thankful for kissing my mother goodbye every morning and hugging my dad when I see him. Listen to this song, and appreciate your parents, hug them, and kiss them every day.

OneReplublic 
-Marchin On

OneRepublic's Ryan Tedder is unbelievably talented. If you don't believe me, look him up; Grammy-Winning American Singer-Songwriter, composer and producer for popular artists such as his own band OneRepublic, Maroon5, Beyonce, Adele, Leona Lewis, Kelly Clarkson, etc. This song, Marchin On, is such a good song to wake up to! I've been questioning certain policy issues as part of a project for my History and Policy class. And right when I wanted to give up on advocating for something very personal and dear to me, I heard this song. It gave me the motivation I've been lacking to press on and "march on". Sounds cheesy but it's so true.

Bon Iver
-Skinny Love


Bon Iver's Skinny Love is such a great song to listen to on a lazy Sunday morning. There's a sense of hurt and melancholy in this song, but it's so good. Justin Vernon wrote this song when he went through a break up from his band and his girlfriend, hence the melancholic feeling. I like the history behind this album and I can't get enough of this song. I have yet to explore the deeper meaning of his lyrics, but superficially the song is beautifully written and performed.

88
-Wolftron

"I wanna love my woman right, I wanna see her face in every kind of light, I wanna taste the air she breathes, I wanna be the man she needs..." This is what every man should be saying to a woman. At the same time, I want to be a good [wo]man, I want to hold my lover's hand, I want to grow old in God's good light... I think I aspire to these things. Which is why I like this song so much. 
I simply cannot say how much I love this song. It's made it to my blog twice. Wolftron's Kenny Choi has an amazing voice and writes so beautiful.


I'd love to hear what songs you have on your iPod or iTunes or playlist :D 

No comments: