Monday, November 18, 2013

Past


The past is such an intangible thing, yet so real.

I ran into an old friend I haven't seen in seven years, she used to be my best friend. We talked about the past. We brought up many childish things we did without thinking. We talked as if we were still best friends.

But as I listened to her perception of “our” past, I realized how different we remember the past. She remembers a different me.  I look back and I wonder why she never took the time to really know me.

 I always saw the past as a time of glory, adventure and joy. I speak of the past with nostalgia, as if I really missed and wished to go back. But as I talked to my friend I realized that past is right where it should be…in the past.
The baggage we carry is worthless and useless.
I enjoyed the years of youth but not the teenage angst. I enjoyed my freedom and free spirit but not the carelessness.
I can change and reinvent myself, but it’s the choices that propel the present into the future. I made my choices then, I make choices now.
My present is much more cherished.
I’m glad I’ve grown into the person I am today.
It’s true that none of us exist independently from the social push and pull of our environment (past and present), but learning to move on is essential.
I keep fond memories of the past, and occasionally I'll reference back and even write about it, but yesterdays are gone, and I'm glad its over.

No comments: