Saturday, July 18, 2015

I am a DREAMer

On April 7th, Augsburg College made the announcement to “expand its commitment to educating students of ability” regardless of their immigration status. This was in support of United We Dream’s National Institution Coming Out Day, the largest immigrant youth-led organization in the nation. One of the commitments Augsburg has pledged to do is to “empower undocumented students to come out of the shadows” and continue their education and obtain a degree. The phrase “to come out of the shadows” lingers on my mind because for the first time I am neither afraid nor ashamed to come out of the shadows and talk about my own journey through this academic world as an undocumented student.

I often think the greatest challenge I have faced has been obtaining a degree in a private college as an undocumented student. But as I consider the phrase “to come out of the shadows” I realize that my biggest obstacle has not been the inability to afford college, but rather admitting my own immigration status for fear of judgment and the stigma associated with being undocumented and living in the shadows. As an undocumented student, college was not an option for me in high school. My school counselor made it clear when I sought her advice and she confronted me with a truth I had not considered, I was an “illegal immigrant” with no means of going to college. Without any guidance or financial support, I worked two jobs to pay tuition while attending a community college. I started as a part time student, but after the first semester I was exhausted and gave up.

Two years later, my younger sister started attending college and I decided to follow her footsteps. I attended a community college for far longer than any other students have, still working full time to pay for tuition. No one in college had ever offered support or talked to me about financial options. In colleges, it had been established that undocumented students do not qualify for financial aid, or any other government funded aid (scholarships included), so the best the schools could do was to set up payment plans.

On June 15th, 2012 President Obama created a policy, in response to the DREAM Act advocacy, calling for deferred action for certain undocumented young people who came to the United States as children. On August 15, 2012 Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) was implemented. Under the stipulations of the new policy, many young people like me could now obtain a work permit, but this did not mean that we were granted legal status. In fact, it is simply a temporary measure and solution that does not grant any benefits legal residents and citizens have. One of the most important for young people is access to financial assistance or government funded scholarships.

In the summer of 2013, I mustered enough courage to apply to a day program in a four-year college or university. I started visiting some of them; certain universities treated me differently after learning about my legal status and one private school even suggested I don’t waste my time in touring the campus since I could not afford it. By Fall, I had lost hope and my dream of experiencing college life seemed more distant than ever. It was then that someone recommended I look into Augsburg College, I hesitated, but I applied anyway. This has been one of the best decisions I’ve ever made. Within weeks, I was contacted by someone in admissions and I was guided through the final application process. I was also awarded a scholarship that paid about a third of my tuition; this was a huge, but welcomed surprise. I was offered a tour, but before I could schedule one I was already meeting the faculty of the social work program.  In the fall of 2013 I started attending Augsburg College with the intent to obtain a Bachelor's Degree in Social Work. That same year, a very kind lady suggested that I apply for the Minnesota Dream Act to help pay my tuition; she explained that Minnesota passed The Prosperity Act, better known as The Minnesota Dream Act, that summer. Under this state policy, undocumented students meeting certain criteria could apply for state financial aid. Because I worked full time and I had already completed a big portion of my credits, I was awarded little financial aid, but still helped a lot.

After two years of juggling an internship, a full time job, school and homework, this May I graduate with a Bachelors Degree in Social Work. Stepping out of the shadow has not been easy; putting myself through school hasn’t been easy either.  But it is proof that Latino students are committed and determined to obtain an education. My story is not unique, there are several other students like myself who have achieved and accomplished their academic goals. For those living in the shadows for fear or shame, it is time we stand up and accomplish our dreams. And just like Augsburg College is supporting these students, I hope other colleges and universities unite and together support our community.

My wonderful parents. Photo taken by Martin Rosales

My cousin Lundy and my younger sister Nena. Photo taken by Martin Rosales

No comments: